Wednesday, October 26, 2011

St. Louis, World Series and Math

So, I am here in St. Louis for the NCTM Regional math conference starting tomorrow.  But...it also happens to be the site of the World Series - St. Louis Cardinals vs. Texas Rangers. I am not a baseball fan...much more of a football fan...but I feel the need, in the spirit of the game, to maybe be prepared for tomorrow at the booth with some baseball 'stuff' to show. And, as I look at some baseball statistics, I am just amazed at the sheer amount of mathematics that surrounds baseball.  It just has me thinking that any math teacher who is worried about the how to explore statistics with students using relevant data need look no further than baseball.

More later - hopefully some interesting data explorations using TinkerPlots....will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment