Saturday, December 17, 2011

Follow-Up on Planning for Hybrid PD - Day 2

Those of you who are teachers know what I am talking about - that moment where you say "oh, if I could only go back to 'first period' (or 2nd block - whichever  class was the first one) and reteach this lesson they would get it so much better!"  Practice does really make perfect (well...better any way), as I said in Tuesday's post.

I did the second day of face-to-face with my middle school teachers (see related post) , so basically a repeat of day one with a different content focus, and as is usually the case, learned from my first experience.  Spent more time on the software basics, cleared up some misunderstandings about the online course components - in general, fixed the errors made in the first night.  If only I could go back and do the first night over!  It made me think about all the years of teaching where I taught the same course for 3 periods - that poor first period class definitely got the short end of the stick! Let's face it, the more you do something, the more you tweak and improve and change to make things better.

All in all the first face-to-face experiences went well with both groups -  I was pleased.  And while I know there are some teachers in both groups who are perhaps feeling a bit overwhelmed, I am thinking they all at least feel confident enough to start the online component and start exploring further.  I have already had most folks sign on and introduce themselves online, the first step in developing the online community, and some have already begun their explorations of the software and the content connections with the Common Core.  I am sure I will have to push some others, especially since this is the holiday season and most folks are on vacation, but I feel we are off to a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment