Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Holiday Math - It's More Than A Worksheet

It's that time of year when, if you are not already on holiday break from school, you will be in a few days.  As a teacher you are looking for ways to fill those class hours with math while at the same time be 'in the holiday spirit'. What math teacher hasn't handed out the 'elf math' worksheet with cute little pictures of elves who have math problems (i.e. drill and practice) to solve in order to get to the presents? Might even involve a bit of coloring...super fun!  I admit...I was one of those teachers at the early part of my teaching - I had an entire folder of 'holiday worksheets', which were nothing more than glorified rote practice math problems with holiday pictures. We can do better!

I know it's a bit late, but I have done a search of 'holiday math' and wanted to share some ideas I found that I think go beyond the typical worksheet and 'drill-and-kill' approach to holiday math.  If nothing else, these ideas can be put in storage for next year!


Math Activities for the Holidays, a blog by Carol McGehe
Winter Math Activities from  mathwire.com
Holiday Activity: A Math Activity about Poverty from Teaching Tolerance
Holiday Ideas from JCCS Math
Christmas Holiday Math Games and Teaching Tips from ABC and 123
Sketchpad Winter Wonderland Contest from Key Curriculum Press

I am sure there are more out there but this at least gives you a starting point.  Have fun!

Happy Holidays!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment